Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Artist of the Week: Max and Star Wars


max
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar.

Yesterday Max presented me with this fine piece of artwork and announced that it was Star Wars.


han&luke
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar.

After some careful questioning this morning he explained to me that the figure on the left is Han Solo and the figure on the right is Luke Skywalker.

Max is still a huge fan of Star Wars. He builds elaborate spaceships complete with blasters with his Duplo blocks, aka big Lego’s. He regularly engages Nate in mock light saber battles with long pieces of flexible car track.

He is very proud of his artwork and wants to hang it on his bedroom wall. Meanwhile I’m excited to see a recognizable figure emerge from his scrawling. This, to me, is one of the most exciting periods of development. They are gaining control and are able to expressive themselves artistically. We try to have paper and crayons on hand and give them out when their muses strike. I’m strictly hands off with their art. It is their vision, not mine. If they want me to draw something I’m happy to oblige, but I want them to develop their own style. I’m just here to be the proud parent.


No comments: