Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Artist of the Week: Pencil

This week it’s all about me. I’m the artist of the week.

Me
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar.


This picture was taken back in November, during Nate’s birthday party. It is one of the few pictures we have of me. I’m not particularly camera shy, it’s because I take the bulk of our pictures.

Anyway Larry asked me to create a logo for Jake’s soccer team. The team name is The Dragons and he wanted something with a dragon and a soccer ball. My first try was alright, but a bit too cute, it was of a dragon curled around the ball. Larry wanted something fiercer, maybe swooping towards the ball and breathing fire.


DragonsLogo
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar.


This is what he got. The kids watched as I drew it and were very impressed. It inspired a whole slew of dragon and/or dinosaur pictures.

I like drawing in pencil the feel of the lead against the page just seems right. My drawings tend toward very simple line drawings. I generally don’t go for heavy shading and fine details. I’m quite pleased with how this came out. I’ll admit that I did cheat on the ball; I found a picture of one and traced it, I can never get the pattern quite right on my own. But the rest of the drawing is all mine.

No comments: