Friday, December 19, 2008

Gingerbread


cookie cutters
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar
As I mentioned yesterday I have a fairly decent gingerbread recipe. It is courtesy of Martha Stewart, you can see it over here, or just read on.

I had gotten some cookie cutters from the Martha Stewart catalog a few years ago. Included in the package was a wee little book filled with suggested recipes and tips on how to decorate the resultant cookies. I haven't tried the sugar or the chocolate cookies, but I can tell you the gingerbread is worth trying out. the only hard part is judging when the cookies are done. I mostly relied on my nose. If I could smell the cookies they had to be done.


ready to bake
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar
Makes about 16 large cookies
(I got just under 5 dozen)

* 6 cups sifted all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
* 1 cup dark-brown sugar, packed
* 4 teaspoons ground ginger
* 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground clove
* 1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 2 large eggs
* 1 cup unsulfured molasses

Directions

1. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
2. In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Mix in spices and salt, then eggs and molasses. Add flour mixture; combine on low speed. Divide dough in thirds; wrap in plastic. Chill for at least 1 hour.
3. Heat oven to 350 degrees. On a floured work surface, roll dough 1/8 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes. Transfer to ungreased baking sheets; refrigerate until firm, 15 minutes. Bake until crisp but not darkened, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cookies cool on wire racks, then decorate as desired.


yum
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar
The dough was very stiff and smelt fantastic. I chilled it overnight, I prefer that as opposed to hanging around for an hour. AS for the chilling on the sheet, at most they got was 10 minutes outside on the deck. (It was about 40-45 degrees out, this time of year I view my deck as the world's largest walk-in cooler.)

The cookies are very tasty, Max's class loved decorating them and eating them. I don't think anybody rejected the cookies.

No comments: