Thursday, April 28, 2011

Brandie New

About two weeks ago I lost my camera. My beloved Fujifilm Fine Pix E900 that I knew so well. I *think* I left it on the field after one of Rebecca's soccer games or at the table when we picked up a hot dog from the concession stand next to the parking lot. Either way it doesn't matter, the camera was long gone when I puzzled out what happened three days later. Jake was extremely generous and offered the use of his camera while I sort things out. So I've been using a borrowed camera and researching like mad on what to replace my missing E900.

My requirements are the same as the last time I went looking, viewfinder is a must and the batteries would ideally be regular AA or AAA batteries.

It turns out that the viewfinder requirement is a rather tall order. Manufactures are phasing out viewfinders on point and shoot cameras in favor of larger LCD screens. Which really irritates me, on bright sunny days it's almost impossible to see anything on the LCD screens. Picture taking becomes a sort of point, shoot, and pray you got the image you want. The DSLRs still have viewfinders, but right now I don't want to go that route.

After a lot of searching I settled on a Fujjifilm S1500. I really like the feel of the Fujifilm cameras and the software to download pictures from the camera to your computer is pretty good. Overall the camera has mixed reviews, but I think it's pluses outweigh the negatives.

Now I just have to wait until the weather clears to put my new camera through its paces.

No comments: