Tuesday, January 22, 2013

French Apple Tart

French Apple Tart by Teckelcar
French Apple Tart, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
This week's Baking with Julia challenge was a French Apple Tart, For the full recipe head on over to Laws of the Kitchen or, better yet, get the book (oh look, it's on sale now).

Now I already make a mean tarte tatin, so the whole apple tart thing was not that far off the beaten path for me. The big challenge was that this is a far more elegant dessert in presentation. I was a bit daunted by all the slicing I needed to do, but it turned out to fairly easy.

I really liked the whole thing, the crust was very delicate and the apples were nice and tart. The soft creamy filling contrasted nicely with the slices on top. I think the only thing I'll do differently next time, and there will be a next time, is to cook it a bit longer.

3 comments:

Have Apron....Will Bake said...

Your sliced apple arrangement looks fantastic. I really liked this recipe too. I've got the three discs of leftover dough in the freezer just waiting to be used. It will be good pratice as I'd love to be comfortable making something like this.
I had to bake mine longer than it called for, as it seemed to take forever to get even a little bit browned on top.

Anonymous said...

Your tart looks impressive with the browned slices. I would also like to make this tart again.

Cathleen | My Culinary Mission said...

I like how relatively easy this was, yet what a show-stopper of a dessert. I used a mandoline to slice the apples - made the task a little easier.