Thursday, May 09, 2013

Rainy Day Chives

rain chive by Teckelcar
rain chive, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
For the past week and a half the weather has been wet, wet, wet. Soccer practices have been relocated or out right canceled from either rain or unplayable fields. The lawn is soaked, the playing fields are soaked, and everything is growing like mad.

This is my more than a decade old chives. Every year they die back over the winter and every spring they come back. Once in a while I toss in a bit more soil into the pot and make sure it is watered. The moss growing on the soil around the plants seems to hold in the moisture fairly well, helping the chives survive when we go traveling in the summer. I trim it back all summer long whenever I want fresh chives in my cooking.

This is my level of gardening, minimal effort with a great return.

No comments: