Thursday, November 07, 2013

Clarity

old by Teckelcar
old, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
We have had some big doings over here. As of today we officially have a new roof on our home. For the past three and a half days there has been a crew of guys ripping off the old, starting to leak shingles and replacing with lovely new ones. It's been very loud and I have been blocked from our garage and driveway from the assorted roofing materials and truck filling up the driveway. Plus there is the added joy of schlepping across the front yard to get to our vehicles.

I know, first world problems. However, I did have to drag a 40 bag of dog kibble across the lawn to replace the empty one.

Anyway, part of the whole re-roofing was the replacement of our seven (!) skylight, one in each of the upstairs bathrooms and the remaining five in the ceiling above the rear portion of the house. The top picture is on of the downstairs skylights with the old window. It's almost opaque, there is no view and the light is fairly dim.

new by Teckelcar
new, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
Here is the adjacent skylight with the new crystal clear window.

I was shocked by the difference. I knew the previous skylights were not particularly good, but I didn't know how bad they were until now.

My eyes are continuously drawn to the new view. I just can't get over how much better the new skylights are. And the improvements don't stop there, the windows are far more energy efficient. The glass is insulated and sealed which could potentially lead to lower fuel bills in the winter and the summer.

In the meantime I'm going to enjoy the new view.

No comments: