Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Artist of the Week: Podracing

Star Wars is a very popular subject matter in this household. All four of my children adore the movies and have been pestering us to get the recently released third movie (and yes we do have it, I’m just waiting for to give it before our trek north in December.) Jake, Nate and Max love to look at the various visual dictionaries, cross-sections and movie scrapbooks that I get for them from the library. I’m rather fond of the cross-section series; they cater to my inner engineer.

While cleaning up some of the large piles of papers we have scattered about I found this picture by Jake.

podracing
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar.

It is of the podrace from “The Phantom Menace.” What struck me first about this piece is the start of a three dimensional rendering of the rock formations. The podracers and the twin suns of Tatoonie are all done in ink while the rocks are done in pencil. He wanted to make the rock look like it had a tunnel and I think he was successful. I like that he thought about what media to use and was willing to switch around for the best affect. I like this picture and I think I’ll save it.

Jakesteps
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar.

No comments: