Friday, January 27, 2006

Lemon Goodness

Last Friday I put Jake in a bit of a snit. To perk him up I let him pick out what dessert we would have that night for Shabbat dinner. First he requested cheesecake, but I nixed that due to lack of ingredients and time (cheesecake is much better if it is refrigerated overnight), then he asked for Lemon Squares. We had lemons and it had been quite a while since I last made them, so why not.

lemonsquares
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar.


They are very easy to make. The bottom crust is shortbread and on top is lemon custard. The recipe is from my very battered copy of “Betty Crocker’s Cooky Book” from 1975 (Amazon has a facsimile of the 1965 that is pretty much the same as mine).
Lemon Squares
1 cup of all-purpose flour
½ cup of butter or margarine*
¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
************************
2 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
2 tbsp lemon juice**

Heat the oven to 350 (mod.). Measure flour by dipping method (p. 5) or by sifting. Blend flour, butter, and confectioners’ sugar thoroughly. Press evenly in square pan, 8x8x2”, building up ½” edge. Bake 20 min. Beat rest of ingredients together. Pour over crust and bake 25 min. more or just until no imprint remains when touched lightly in the center. Makes 25 squares. Note: If you use self-rising flour, omit baking powder and salt.

*I use butter (what a surprise)
**I use a whole lemon

They were very scrumptious and a complete bust with Nate, Max and Rebecca. But that was fine with me and Jake, it meant there was more for us.

No comments: