Thursday, November 09, 2006

Thursday Three: Politics

I guess Terry hasn’t quite gotten his fill of this week’s big excitement, the mid-term elections. He writes:

Finally!


The votes have been cast, the people have spoken, the Republic survives, and we can at last have some relief from wall-to-wall political ads everywhere we look, from the annoying recorded phone calls, from the ticky-tacky flotsam of ugly campaign signs. And what to discuss now?

Oh, that’s easy.

MORE POLITICS!!

We bring you the Political Postmortem Edition of the Axis of Weevil Thursday Three, because as we all know, too much of a good thing is just about right! SO, play along with us now as we ask you some probing, uncomfortable questions about the results of the immediately past election.

Everyone is free to play along, even if you’re not even from America! What a country! Anyway, just leave your answers in the comments below, or a link to your own blog. Okay, here we go--

1) Now that the balance of power in the House and Senate has changed (due in large part to Democratic Party gains brought about by running more centrist candidates than they have in the past), will they surprise everyone and purge their fringe elements and actually try to lead from the center, or will they continue to pander to the tinfoil-hat folks with impeachment/frog marches and putting all the filthy Christianists into reeducation camps?

2) When you cast your ballot, do you do so with at least some desire in the back of your mind to make a decision that the international community would be pleased with?

3) Now that this little exercise has passed, everyone is now ready to talk about the REAL race, that of President in ’08. Who’s it going to be?

So, there you go. Please take a pencil and mark your choices and place them into the machine.

I’m so glad that this year’s silly season is over. We get political phone calls from both sides and I’m sick to death with them. This year’s senatorial campaign in Virginia was particularly vicious, as one fellow voter observed at my poll station “now that it’s over do we elect them or incarcerate them?” That’s why I voted Yourish, at least I know she’s an honest, hard working person. Anyway, here are my answers:

1) I don’t think there will be much of a change, except that both parties will be forced to play somewhat nicely since the majority really isn’t large enough for them to truly run amok.

2) When I vote I really don’t give a fig what the so called international community likes or dislikes. What I’m interested in is what is over all best for my locality or for the nation as a whole, both on the foreign and the domestic fronts. I am slowly becoming Libertarian in my views and I believe that government should leave the smallest footprint possible.

3) Gah, I don’t even want to think about that train wreck in the making. The field is wide open and who knows what is going to happen. I know I certainly would not want that particular job, nor do I like the people that do.

I am not a very politically oriented person, but I do take my civic duty very seriously and cast my vote whenever possible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good answers--and Aunt Meryl was a good pick, even if she did come up a few votes shy of a win.