Sunday, February 18, 2007

Rally: April 10, 1992-February 18, 2007

I got a call today that I had been dreading.

"Mrs. G____ I know this not completely unexpected, but Rally is gone."

She slipped out of this world on her terms. She went to sleep and never woke up. I knew her time on this earth was drawing to an end. I even thought about making that last call to the vet last Thursday, but she seemed to perk up the next day.

The hardest part was I wasn't with her. We had a Bar Mitzvah up in Long Island to attend and the dogs were to be kenneled. I did not want to take Rally in, but the hotel we were staying at had a no pets policy. I briefly entertained the notion of staying home, but that would leave Larry with ALL driving with a van full of kids.

Friday morning I dropped the dogs off. I spoke with the staff and told them of my concerns. It is a small kennel and the owner is a vet and runs both his practice and the kennel from his home. The staff all appreciated Rally and at one point her nick name was "Baby Doll."

I hated leaving her, but knew she would be safe and loved.

That afternoon they called me on my cell phone. Rally wasn't looking well so Doc took a look at her. He felt she was dehydrated and brought her up to the house to keep an eye on her and start her on fluids.

Saturday I called to check on her. I got the machine and left a message to please call if Rally was any worse.

Today, Sunday, the vet called me as we were driving home.

I miss her so much.

No comments: