Monday, August 06, 2007

Telegram From the Past


telegram
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar
My cousin has been going through her mother's personal effects and found a few little gems that she has sent my way.

The best was the telegram that my parents sent to her parents on the announcement of my birth.

How neat is that? How many people have the actual telegram announcing their birth? The mailed ones are a dime a dozen, but telegrams are a thing of the past. When I told Meryl about it she said I had to post it. Indeed, because in a small way it marks an era that is no more.

With the advent of cheap phone calls and the internet, telegrams are a thing of the past. In fact Western Union sent its last telegram on January 27, 2006. I can’t wait to show it to the boys on Wednesday.

No comments: