Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Artist of the Week: Maps


Max and friends
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar
This week's artist is Max. I'm reposting this picture of him from last November because it is so very appropriate for today's post.

As you can see Max has a lot of stuffed animals or, as we like to call them, stuffies. He drags them all over the house, upstairs, downstairs and even out in the car. Which is fine as long as he picks them up when they are downstairs. The dogs too are rather fond of stuffies, but in a very destructive fashion.

A few days ago Max had part of his collection downstairs scattered about on the floor. The dogs were loose and Max realized that he needed to relocate his toys into safer waters. He pushed them into a big pile and just before he picked them up he noticed something.

Stuffy America
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar


He had inadvertently created a fairly good rendition of the continental US. He rushed over to show me what he had done and asked me to take a picture. I was impressed as was all of his siblings. We all oohed and ahhed over his creation.

I love how he got the coastlines, I admit I ever so slightly readjusted Florida (by less than an inch), but the rest stand as they were. Maine is a bit out there, but I love the suggestion of the Great Lakes via the snake's coils. It really is quite remarkable and doubly so that a 6 year picked up on it all by himself.

No comments: