Sunday, July 13, 2008

The First Tomato


first tomato
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar
Yesterday we picked our first official tomato from our deck garden.

I say official because we had two Romas that I stripped off the vine due to blossom end rot and the one Roma that inexplicably dropped off the vine while still very green.

But this one, is a keeper.

This has been a much anticipated event. It looked a bit dicey for a bit with the aforementioned end rot with the Romas (they are fine now, turns out I wasn't watering regularly enough) and some mysterious critter stripping off leaves and nibbling a tomato.

I don't know what the animal was. Judging by the height of the bite mark and the stripped leaves I would hazard a deer had done the deed. But I find that hard to believe. The deer would have to climb up the steps onto the deck and then walk the full length of the deck to reach the plants. Our deer are bold, but I don't think they are that bold.

Anyway Rebecca was pleased to model with the fruit of our labor. She was a bit miffed that I picked it and not her, but she got over it. I'll let her pick the next one.

Oh, and I have to let you in on a not so little secret. Rebecca lost one of her front teeth the other day, hence the gappy smile. She was very upset by the whole thing and we are not to talk about it. Kind of hard when it's a front tooth.

No comments: