Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Artist of the Week: Tower of Blocks


Rebecca
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar
This week's artist is Rebecca.

This is one of the many, many pictures I took while we were away up north. One of these days I'll give a proper accounting, but that'll have to wait for when I have a bit more. Like oh when everybody is back in school, which thankfully starts back up next week.

Anyway, this week I'm featuring one of her building block creations. She, like her brothers, loves to play with blocks. She was very proud of this structure and asked repeatedly for me to photograph it. She put a lot of effort in getting the blocks to balance just so. I liked the little dinosaur perched on top.


tower
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar
He makes me think of Godzilla and King Kong. All we need is a few tiny planes buzzing about to complete the image.

Her tower is simpler than the elaborate structures her older brothers make, but that's understandable. She is 6 going on 7 soon while Jake is 12 and Nate is nearly 10. I think what she has achieved with form and balance is remarkable. Getting the cylinders to line up and balance with the little dino is quite a feat. It'll be interesting to see if she starts making buildings with room, like her brothers, or if she explores the more artistic side of building blocks.

No comments: