Friday, March 22, 2013

Shoot Me: Breaking Rules

I'm not much on the whole rules of photography. Some like, like the rule thirds and providing a line for the eye to follow result in stronger compositions. Others, like not shooting into the sun, are broken all the time.

I picked this one, which was actually a mistake, because I loved the result. It was windy while I was trying to take pictures of the snowy flowers and I was having quite a time battling with auto-focus on my little point and shoot. Instead of a pretty flower filled with snowflakes I got a rather dramatic abstract of a flower framed by beautiful bare branches.

I think my original idea was good, but I think this so-called mistake is better. I guess I'm breaking some rule on focus and the priority of various elements of the picture, but some times it pays to be different.

No comments: