Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Artist of the Week: Tunnel

Digging is a common theme in my life. My dogs dig and so do my children. In fact one of our dogs has even been featured as an AOTW for his digging prowess. So it is only fair that I feature my children as well. As a result my three sons (warning audio file) are the artists of the week.


threebrothers
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar.

As I have mentioned before we have an on going project of mulching the front planting bed. The children (well at least the boys) have been extremely helpful. I have been able to concentrate on weed removal while the wagon gets filled with mulch. On Sunday Nate discovered that you could tunnel into the mulch. This was viewed as a very cool project by the other two boys and the tunneling commenced in earnest. In the end they were able to construct a tunnel through the mulch pile. Jake accurately judged where to dig on the opposite side and they were able to connect the two tunnels. The end product was just the right size for a small animal to crawl through.


mulchtunnel
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar.

When Meryl stopped by on Sunday she at first assumed it was the dog’s handy work and thought it was impressive. She was amazed when I told that in fact the boys had made it.

I thought it was a fairly nifty feat of seat of the pants engineering.

No comments: