Sunday, July 31, 2011

Basil

Basil by Teckelcar
Basil, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
I love basil. It smells wonderful, adds so much flavor, is dead easy to grow, and has the prettiest little white flowers.

For the past couple of years I've let my plants go to seed in the fall and have enjoyed them coming back the following spring. This year, however, I decided I needed to buy new plants. My big pot was horribly overdue to have its soil replenished and I seriously doubted that the seeds would be able to sprout and find daylight after a massive reworking of the soil.

And I was right. At least at first.

Spring came and there were no seedlings. I waited for well after the last frost before putting in my new plants. They have thrived this summer despite the high temperatures and erratic watering.

And then lo and behold two little seedlings appeared a few weeks ago. I'm glad I got the new plants, but I'm tickled that the offspring of the old plants are present as well.

No comments: