Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Beef Festival!

Smile by Teckelcar
Smile, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
This past weekend was the 32nd annual Amelia Beef Festival. We don't go every year, it is rather pricey, but when we do we always have a good time.

I realized accidentally that last Saturday was the day when I was watching a local morning show last week. I don't normally watch, but our friends The Velvet Marias were the featured musical guest. As I waited for their segment to come up I impatiently watched various local bits that did not interest me, until the organizers to The Amelia Beef Fest appeared to promote their event. I thought it was come and gone and was delighted to see I was wrong.
football in the rain by Teckelcar
football in the rain, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.

Larry was out of town with Jake and I was trying to come up with a fun activity for the rest us and this filled the bill. One quick phone call to Meryl to see if she was in and we were all set, all I had to do was get the tickets before Saturday. The event is advance sales only and I did not want to miss out. I was really looking forward to the all you can eat ribs, BBQ, steamship round, and roasted corn.

Friday afternoon I got the tickets with only a slight bit of drama. After I left the bank (yes, really I got the tickets at a bank) I decided to double check how many tickets I got. As I sat in my car I discovered I had 6, not 5 tickets. After a few more errands I swung by the bank to drop off the extra ticket. They thanked me for my honesty and I thought nothing of it.

roasted corn by Teckelcar
roasted corn, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
That is until the next day when I got a call from the bank to confirm that I had the right number of tickets. I did and even counted them again when I was on the phone.

As for the festival, we had a great time.

It rained, which it always seems to do, but we came prepared. I have a sun tent that keeps off most of the rain (it gets drippy underneath during downpours) and Rebecca looks very pleased that we brought our shelter. Nate got a bit bored until he started playing football with some passing boys. And Max, well he loved the roasted corn. We set up near the corn shed and I don't know how many times the boy ducked over for another ear. I enjoyed all of the beef and I too ate a boatload of the sweet, sweet roasted corn.

No comments: