Friday, November 18, 2011

MCP Project 52: Over the Top

Frost on the Pansies by Teckelcar
Frost on the Pansies, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
This week's theme was "Over the Top" and it certainly was a challenge for me.

I wasn't quite sure what to do with the theme. I had an idea of an overflowing water pitcher, but it never really came together. So in the end I picked out a picture I really liked and worked the theme into the description. A bit of a wimp out, but then again nobody is perfect.

My over the top picture is of the pansies from Nate's Bar Mitzvah coated in frost and ice. After the Bar mitzvah they sat on the deck in their glass bowls. I needed to transplant them, but I was in no hurry.

Then it started to rain. Wednesday wasn't too bad, but it was wet enough to deter me from any outside work. By Thursday, however, the light rain became intermittent deluges. Since the bowls had no drainage, my poor pansies were starting to float. I braved the weather and transplanted the contents of all 12 bowls to my deck rail flower boxes.

And it was a good thing I did, we had a hard frost last night. the water collected in the bowls (1/4 and more) froze solid. If I hadn't transplanted the flowers and emptied the bowls I think they would have all broken from the soupy soil freezing.

As is the pansies got kind of a rough deal. Their new home wasn't full of water, instead it was frozen and they were coated in hoar frost. I found that to be over the top, from a near drowning to semi-frozen in far less than a day.

Oh and that pretty little drop on the bottom of the bloom and catching the morning rays, it's not a water drop. In actuality it's a solidly frozen bead of water.

No comments: