Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Watermelon Warrior

Watermelon warrior by Teckelcar
Watermelon warrior, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
Almost exactly a year ago Max snagged a quarter of a watermelon rind and declared it as a good hat. It could only be improved if it was a half a rind instead of a measly quarter.

Yesterday Max finally got his wish, a full half rind helmet.

It wasn't easy scooping out the watermelon, but I kept at it. It was the first watermelon I wasn't bringing to a pot luck or picnic that I could dedicate to the cause. I closely scraped the rind and we left it out in the sun to dry it out a bit. So of course it was been cloudy the past day and a half. But it is wearable and I might try drying it in the oven for a bit.

Max is very pleased with his new helmet and has worn it a few times already. The rest of us are enjoying the mangled chunks of watermelon that are in the fridge. A big win all around.

No comments: