Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Baking With Julia- Hungarian Shortbread

Hungarian Shortbread by Teckelcar
Hungarian Shortbread, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
So, here is the promised Hungarian Shortbread. It's only three weeks late, but at least I got it done in time for third Tuesday. The recipe was hosted lo those many weeks ago at 1smallkitchen and The not so exciting adventures of a dabbler.

 Like many of my fellow bakers I could not find fresh rhubarb. I ended up substituting strawberries in its stead. I had a ton of them and I needed to use them up before they all went bad. The jam smelt marvelous and I was able to cook it in advance and have it chill in the fridge for a few days.

The dough was a snap to make and with the addition of egg yolks quite different from the Scottish shortbread I know and love. It was also a bit odd to have to grate the dough, but it all made sense once I got a taste. By grating the dough the shortbread become almost fluffy and practically melted in the mouth. Rebecca, Jacob, and I loved the finished product.

This one is a keeper.


No comments: