Sunday, June 10, 2012

In Praise of the B Movie

Last night I was surfing channels while chatting on the phone with Meryl about her just completed novel (and I must add a big Woot here) and I stumbled upon Mega Shark vs Crocosaurus, or as I like to think of it Mega Stupid with Crocawesome.

It is a truly awful movie.

It shamelessly reuses sets from its predecessor Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus, has endless stock footage, beyond bad dialogue, and some of the worst CGI I have seen in decades. Heck the earlier Godzillia movies had better production values. It is a classic direct to DVD release.

And yet I loved it.

Meryl and I howled over the wooden acting and bad direction. It is classified as Action/Horror, but it really is a comedy. One person in the comments in the trailer ripped into some of the many inaccuracies and my reaction was simply "Dude it's Mega Shark vs Crocosaurus, what did you expect." I love a movie that wallows in its trashiness and this movie is a prime example. Nate was appalled by the hot mess the movie is, but did ultimately see the humor. The earlier movie, Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus, is a better film, but I love this one too for all its cheesy glory. And even better, it has Urkel all grown up.

No comments: