For the past two weeks I have been fitting band students for their winter concert uniforms, tuxedos for the boys and full length dresses for the girls. Or as Jacob put it, getting everybody all fancified.
It is a far from easy task as the outfits had only been separated by gender, the sizes were all higgledy-piggledy. Plus they were all tagged with the students' names from last year, returning students would get the same outfit, swapping out the pieces they had outgrown. From what was left over I had to sort out what was available and do my best to get them in the right size. Two boys had to wait a week until the right size jackets came to light and another... well he was the last one I did and we settled on the lesser of two evils. A good fit in the shoulder and arms trumped one that he could close that made him look like he was playing dress-up.
The girls were much easier, no measuring for shirts and only one article to try on. Though the sizing was a bit peculiar. I had one girl that had lifted weights over the summer and needed to go up a size to accommodate her more muscular build. I found the next size up and it was an even tighter fit, two sizes up and it was perfect.
By the end I got to be pretty good at just eyeballing what size would work. Nothing made me happier than pulling something off the rack and having it fit on the first try. All the kids were a delight to work with and all of them thanked me for helping out their teacher. It was a real pleasure.