Friday, September 30, 2011

MCP Project 52: Man vs Nature

digging for cable by Teckelcar
digging for cable, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
This weeks MCP Project 52's theme is Man vs Nature. I figure the guy doing battle with the concrete like soil in my front lawn counted as such a contest.

This week it has been our turn to have fiber optic cable laid in our cul-de-sac. Which meant pick up trucks, spools of wire, and some of the hardest working guys I have ever seen filling our street.

Each man dug, with a plain old shovel, a four foot deep by 4-5 foot long trench.

In less than one day.

I've tried digging in our lawn and found it to be well nigh impossible. My vision of flowers around our mailbox was quickly scrapped. So, yeah, I'm really impressed by all the digging the crew has done.

As an added bonus I got to watch them bail out the holes with a spare helmet. The ground is so saturated around here from all the rain that the holes were filling with ground water. But that didn't stop them. They gamely plugged along until the holes were dug to their satisfaction and the cable was carefully laid in place.

It really was a battle of man versus nature out on my front lawn.

No comments: