Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Artist of the Week: Blueprints

outdoor jake by Teckelcar
outdoor jake, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
This week's artist is a rather silly Jacob.

I took this picture of him a few months ago. He was goofing around and mugging for the camera, a rare moment indeed. I loved the resultant picture so much I put it in our annual calendar that we give out to family each year. We have been doing the calendar since Jacob was a baby and it has become a sort of annual photo album. A good thing since I haven't made one in years, dare I say decades.

Anyhoodle this is about Jacob and not my lack of the scrap-booking gene.

blueprints by Teckelcar
blueprints, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
The picture I have here to the right is a blueprint. Specifically the blueprint of a house designed by Jacob to my specifications.He is taking Architectural Engineering Building Systems and the ongoing assignment is to design a house from the ground up. I was asked about where I wanted to build, what kind of heating system, what style of house, and so forth. I settled on a home along the James River with a Victorian flare, but with geothermal heating. Oh and I wanted a walk out basement and at least one turret.

He is having a lot of fun with this project. Before this class he was having doubts about the whole engineering thing. It has reminded him of his love for architecture. The program the class is using is Revit and is an awkward piece of software. Despite the bugs and oddities of bathtubs being installed sideways and sunken in the floor, he has rekindled his passion for architectural design.Plus I get plans for a pretty funky house.

No comments: