Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Shoot Me: Depth of Field

daffadil close up by Teckelcar
daffadil close up, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
The current photo challenge for "Shoot Me" is depth of field, a bit tricky to pull off now that I have a very simple camera. However, I didn't let a little thing like lack of manual mode stop me from giving it a try.

All three of the pictures here are, apart from rotating the image, straight out of the camera. No editing was done, just download from the camera, rotate the image if necessary, and upload to Flickr and the "Shoot Me" group.

The top picture I took with the camera a mere inches away. With camera forced into macro mode I was able to get a fairly shallow depth of field. The focus is all on the bloom in front, anything beyond becomes increasingly blurred.  I am pretty happy with this photo and I'm very happy I got a sunny day to take pictures,
daffodil by Teckelcar
daffodil, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
The next picture in the series is of the same flowers, but no longer in extreme close-up mode. The flowers are in focus and in the forefront, clearly dominating the photo. The light blurring in the background softens the dried and fallen leaves littering he ground. Not as dramatic as the first picture, but still a good effort.

The morning the light that day  was really making the yellow "pop." and I'm glad I got moving before the sun sifted and through them all into shadow.
daffodils in the woods by Teckelcar
daffodils in the woods, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
The third and final picture has me standing up and back a bit. The flowers are still a focal point, but feel is more of a landscape than just the daffodils. By standing up I also changed the horizon, no longer is there a patch of sky in the background. The overall tone is darker as the lights trails off in the back.

The depth of field is much greater and  to me the composition is a rather blah. I am a big fan of getting as close in as you can and this series of pictures confirm that to me.

1 comment:

Diane said...

You're taking pictures of daffodils, and I'm looking at more than six inches of freshly fallen (and still falling) snow. I think I need to move.

You're doing wonders with a "simple" camera, proof that it is the skill of the photographer that makes the difference.