Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Mini Apple Tart

Mini apple tart by Teckelcar
Mini apple tart, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
I fully intended to make focaccia today for the whole Baking with Julia thing. I cracked open my cookbook, all ready to make bread, when my eye caught the line "This dough is mixed quickly in a heavy-duty mixer, allowed to rise, and then refrigerated for at least twenty-four hours, the time it needs to set that bubbly structure in place."

Whoopsie, I guess the focaccia isn't going to be baked today.

Which turned out for the best because I ended up making a quick apple cranberry pecan pie/crisp for Larry to take to a shiva call this evening. Thus bringing us to the mini apple tart.

I had a small amount of dough left after I trimmed the edges of the pie crust. I didn't want it to go to waste and since I wasn't going to get any pie, I decided to make a little tart for myself using one of my 4 inch tart pans.

Two apples were peeled, cored, and cut into small pieces. I tossed the apple chunks with a bit of brown sugar and squeezed on some lemon juice. The apple mixture was then packed into the waiting crust in the tart pan. For the topping I made a mixture of flour, brown sugar, ground ginger, and butter. I cut the butter into the dry ingredients and then sprinkled it on top of the apples. Into the oven at 350 and about half and hour later I had a luscious little tart.

Using just ginger was a nice change of pace. The pie I sent off with Larry had just ginger and I decided to give it a whirl.  Both the tart and the pie were very tasty, Larry told me the one he brought got rave reviews. I'll have to post about it another time.

No comments: