Sunday, February 10, 2013

Shoot Me: Self-Portrait

me 2 by Teckelcar
me 2, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
The third Shoot Me challenge was, appropriately considering the group's name, self-portrait.

I was not particularly thrilled with the assignment, I am usually less than thrilled with pictures of myself. But I decided a challenge is a challenge and I could just put on my big girl pants and suck it up.

It turned out that sometimes I can get a decent shot of myself. I had a handful of pictures I liked and was just able to winnow them down to two. The top picture has great lighting and I like the interplay of all the reds in my sweater, the shutter and my hair.

me by Teckelcar
me, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
In the lower picture the lighting was a bit flat, but I really like the pose. I ditched the sweater to tone down all the red. I'm still posing at the railing of the stoop and the picture is pretty much framed the same.

For both pictures I elected not to use a tripod, nor a timed shutter release, or even remote. I just stuck my left arm out and took a picture. I would immediately check the shot and reposition the camera as needed. I was surprised with how well the pictures turned out and that I had more than one to chose from.

No comments: