Friday, February 01, 2013

Shoot Me: Reflection

Pavement Puddle by Teckelcar
Pavement Puddle, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
The latest Shoot Me challenge is "Reflection" and as you can see, I went for puddles.

We have had endlessly wet weather, so puddles abound. The hard part was getting a bit of sunshine amongst all of the cloudy days. Patience paid off and I ultimately got a bright day that made the puddles sparkle. I had a wide variety to choose from and I had a hard time winnowing the pictures down to just three.

The first one featured here was taken in a parking lot near a playground. I like the contrast of the black and crumbled tarmac to the trees reflected in the water.

Median Puddle by Teckelcar
Median Puddle, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
Next up is a ditch that is contained within a median dividing the roadway. I like the strong lines in the composition from the roadway, the ditch, and the tree trunks. Another nice aspect is that the individual trees can be matched with their reflections. All in all it's a good picture, I just wish the winter colors were not so muted in tone. I could boost the color, but that really isn't my style.

The third and final picture I think is my favorite,. It asks a bit more of the viewer, but I think that makes it a bit more interesting.
Ice Puddle by Teckelcar
Ice Puddle, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
At first glance you don't even notice the reflection, but it is there. A tree is reflected in the puddle of water on the surface of a frozen pond. The refrozen crack in the upper left also roughly mirrors the shape of the tree, a sort of reflection of a reflection. The sky was a bit more overcast for this shot, you can just pick out the clouds that are reflected in the puddle. The clouds, meanwhile,  look more like ripples in the ice.

All three pictures were taken last Saturday and within easy walking distance of each other. It was a productive day's work.

No comments: