Thursday, September 23, 2010

Life of a Suburban Mom

Having four kids in three schools and three different grade levels is turning out to be quite a challenge. Between the disparate schedules, homework, and activities I'm one busy band/soccer/baseball mom.

I knew things would not be easy, Jake leaves for school before 7 am with Nate following a half hour later and Max and Rebecca at 8:45. Then it gets tricky on Jake's non band days I have to collect him at 1:45 (the bus is a nightmare, he's out of district so he has to take two buses each way at, get this, 5:45 am and back home around 3:30 or so). Then Nate appears at 3:30 and the dynamic duo at around 4. Add in a morning walk, this leaves 9:30 to 1:30 to get things done. Four piddling child free hours.

And once they are home there is homework to do (or whine about), music to play and sports to practice. Admittedly the sports are self inflicted, but my kids need the physical outlet and it gets them outside and moving.

Then there is band.

I had absolutely no idea what we were getting into. Mind you I think it is completely worth it, the kids are great and I think it is a great activity for Jake. But oy! It is not an activity for the faint of heart. With three day a week after school practices, football games and competitions I don't foresee much in the way of spare time.

So yeah, I'm just a wee bit busy.

2 comments:

Jordana said...

Sounds busy, busy! I don't know how you do it.

Sarah said...

Me neither!