Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Baking With Julia- French Strawberry Cake

French Strawberry Cake by Teckelcar
French Strawberry Cake, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
The second baking challenge this month was French Strawberry Cake. As always there are two hosts and you can check then out at Sophia's Sweets and Think, Love, Sleep, Dine Recipes For Life to get the full run down on the cake.

Since I was planning to take the cake to a congregational pot luck I increased the batter by another half. I felt that the 8" cake pan specified in the recipe would yield too small a cake. My 9" pan was just right for all the batter and I was able to cut the resultant cake into three layers.

A few of my fellow baking compatriots felt the cake was two dry. I, however, had a lovely cake that was not at all dry. Of course my electing not to drain the strawberries and then drizzling the juices over the two lower layers may have been a factor. My finished cake was absolutely luscious and I found it to be one of the better variations on strawberry shortcake cakes. I was not alone in my opinion, it was a big hit  at the potluck and was the first dessert to disappear.

I will definitely be making this cake again

4 comments:

Diane said...

It looks very yummy; always nice to have your contribution be the first to disappear!

Had I made the cake, I would have used the juices as well. Everything I've read said that genoise is generally dry, because the French generally soak it in syrup of some sort.

Alas, I don't have enough people around to eat a whole cake, unless I take it to work. I'm on a "no new equipment" kick, and no cake carrier. I couldn't think of a reliable way to get it to work in one piece given the distance I go. Have to have some folks over for dinner soon to give it a try.

Judy said...

Your cake looks beautiful and you were smart to use the juices from the strawberries.

Sweet and That's it said...

I'm so pleased everybody loved it - it looks delicious and beautiful.

Cher Rockwell said...

It's so nice when things work out that well - your cake looks lovely. I can see why it was the first to go!