Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Artist of the Week: Apples

Nate by Teckelcar
Nate, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
This week's artist is Nate with a piece of art from the previous school year and a self portrait for his picture.

I just found the selfie, along with a few others, on my camera. He had shown me one of the pictures a few days ago, in it his eyes were closed and he said it looked like a picture of him sleeping. I figured he would delete the pictures since he is normally an elusive subject. I put it out of my mind and pretty much forgot about it until yesterday when I was uploading pictures from my camera. So color me surprised, I have actual picture of the boy that wasn't the result of my sneaking up on him.

Apples by Teckelcar
Apples, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
As for the art, he brought it home at the end of the year and I put it in the dreaded "safe place" and forgot all about it. I was clearing stuff away and rediscovered it. Nate saw me taking a picture and told me he remembered it and really liked the piece.

It is a simple study of an apple done in contrasting colors, both in the actual drawing and the background paper. Nate did a great job capturing the roundness of the apples. He made good use of color and the strokes of the crayon. This one may even be worthy of framing, I'll have to see if I can find a ready made frame for a reasonable price.

No comments: