Thursday, September 26, 2013

Rebel

Rebel by Teckelcar
Rebel, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
I like mowing the lawn. I end up doing the mowing since I'm able to during the week, resulting in one less thing during the weekend.

The worst part of the job is the push mower, which is used on the steep embankment alongside the road and tricky bits that are too awkward for the tractor. It's fortunately not a huge amount and I can get it done in under an hour. I prefer to get that part out of the way first, leaving the riding mower as a sort of reward for a hard job.

The tractor we have is an old beast, at least a 14 years old. We got it in Pennsylvania before Nate was born. Amusingly enough it was from a hardware store that also catered to the local Amish population. Horse and buggies tied to the provided fence were a common sight.

Anyhoo, it's a good tractor that does a great job. I view my time onboard as my thinking time. Free from distractions: it's just me, the tractor and the lawn. I get a real sense of accomplishment when the whole lawn is done. A beautiful green and even sward of grass greets my eyes after I tuck the mowers away in the shed.

So you can imagine how irksome this single blade of grass can be. It somehow evaded the mower blade and defiantly sticks out from the rest of the grass. When I find these rebel blades I go back and deal with them individually.

No comments: