Sunday, September 08, 2013

Well Hello There

Tomato Hornworm by Teckelcar
Tomato Hornworm, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
Yesterday I was breathlessly informed by some of my children that there was an absolutely enormous caterpillar om one of our tomato plants. This warranted further investigation. I had my suspicions on what they found, so a quick trip outside was in order.

They were not exaggerating, it was huge, possibly the biggest hornworm I have ever seen.

In my previous life I was a lab tech, one of the labs I worked in had tobacco hornworms. From what I learned we had a tomato hornworm, which is very similar to the tobacco. Both will feed on tomato plants, so it's no guarantee that you have tomato hornworm on a tomato plant. I also learned that these were the critters that had been eating the odd tomato. I had blamed the squirrels, but now I know better.


No comments: