Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Baking With Julia- Irish Soda Bread

Irish soda bread by Teckelcar
Irish soda bread, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
This week's baking challenge on Tuesday's with Dorie/ Baking with Julia was Irish soda bread.

A simple bread that is only composed of four ingredients: flour, salt, baking soda, and buttermilk. I have never eaten it before, much less baked it, and honestly I don't think I ever would have if I wasn't doing this baking challenge. Maybe it's the raisins that most people put in, I don't like them and that probably scared me off this particular treat.

Anyhoodle here I am with my very first Irish soda bread.

It really is a snap to make, a welcome relief from the previous albeit delicious tour de force. I waited until it was time for me to pick up Jake from school. Since it's such an ephemeral bread I wanted it to be at its best when my main bread eater was home. Jake loved it and the two of us blew through half the loaf. I've kept it wrapped in a damped towel, but I can see the quality dropping off as the day progresses. I think the bread's next stop is to be sliced up and frozen. It should be a tasty treat for breakfast after it gets toasted.

For a full run down of the bread, with recipes, head on over to Chocolate Moosey and My Culinary Mission.

5 comments:

Diane said...

I liked it as well. I cut up the leftovers and tossed them in a plastic bag, removing as much as air I could, and it kept pretty well until morning.

Julia said...

I can say that I would not have tried this one either. That really is the great thing about TWD! Your bread looks fantastic.

Sarah said...

Thank you! Yes, TWD is great for getting me to try new things.

Teresa said...

Luckily, the traditional version requires no raisins (not my thing, either).

Cher Rockwell said...

This is probably not one I would have picked out on my own either :-)