Sunday, December 12, 2010

Back in the Saddle

I have mentioned that we have a friend with horses and we went and visited the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Jake stayed home (there was a potential conflict with his trumpet lesson), but the remaining three came along and had a great time riding a pony. Our friend even offered to saddle up a horse for me to ride, but I politely declined. I was more interested in getting the kids comfortable with the pony and I wouldn't be able to supervise them as closely if I was on horseback.

So instead, we arranged for me to come back another time sans children.

It's been over 18 years since I've last been on a horse, so I was just a wee bit apprehensive. I knew we were going to start out slow and the mare I would be riding was quiet and well mannered, but I knew I was going to hurt. It was just a question of how much. When I used to ride I was fairly decent and was at the point where I really used my legs. I remembered the last time I went on hiatus (it was only 7 years that time) my legs felt like jelly and I literally staggered away. Now I was 20 years older and certainly less fit.

I sent a half hour in the ring alone with the my steed getting a feel for her and remembering how to put it all together. Then we were off for an almost hour long trail ride. I'm proud to say I was not dumped, I did not fall off, and I was invited back again. As for for how I felt post ride- pretty good. I did not have jelly legs and it took about half an hour for my calves to decide I was an evil, evil person. Fortunately two ibuprofens did the trick and I felt fine after a day and a half.

When I went back last Friday I had my own boots and helmet. After such a successful first outing I was willing to get my own gear. Amazingly it went even better. We did a bit more cantering and attempted a couple of jumps. My calves had gotten over their pique from the previous time and I did not need any sort of pain relief.

It's nice to know that I'm not nearly as decrepit as I feared and I get to do something that I really enjoy doing.

No comments: