Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Artist of the Week: Ecosystem Cube

Max in blue by Teckelcar
Max in blue, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
Well I tried to post last night, but it was a huge struggle just getting the pictures up and I just plain threw in the towel and went to bed.

Anyway, Max is the artist in all his wrapping paper glory. I don't exactly remember why he was wearing the wrapper paper, possibly a disguise featuring a beard? All I can do is put it down to the mysteries of the eleven year old mind. The end result, however, is a very silly picture and the wrapping paper really brings out the blue in his eyes.

As for the art, it was a school project focusing on an ecosystem. Each side would detail a different aspect of  the ecosystem, from adaptations, life cycles, human impact, and so on. Each side has illustrations depicting the various aspects and a few lines of text.

cube by Teckelcar
cube, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
Max's cube is all about swamps.

I've always loved swamps. I found them to be fascinating places teeming with life. Across the road from our house there was a smallish pond chock full of frogs that was bordered by a swamp. I spent hours in there scrambling along the downed trees. So I can certainly understand why he picked a swamp, that and the whole turtle thing.

Max did some very nice illustrations and put a great deal of thought into the project. I didn't know it was to become a cube until the day he brought the finished project home. He got a solid B, mostly due to the fact he forgot to add a couple of elements. I think next time he will read the rubric a little more carefully.

No comments: