Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Cock-a-Leekie-soup

This past week I achieved the hat trick of dinner, three dinners for six people from one chicken.

First up was my basic roast chicken, it was a large bird and we didn't even come close to finishing it. A few days later I stripped off the dark meat and with the leftover gravy I made a chicken pot pie. Today I stripped the remaining white meat and used the carcass to make the stock for cock-a-leekie soup. The meat was added back to the finished stock and thus the bird was completely used up.

The recipe for the soup I got from the book "Ruhlman's Twenty," an excellent book that teaches you 20 basic techniques and has 100 recipes. I requested it when my mom was wondering what to get me and it is just as good as I thought it would be. I highly recommend it for any cook.

I will not post the recipe here and I can't find his version on the web, but I can tell you it is a very simple chicken soup with leeks. Rebecca has been begging for me to make matzo ball soup, however passover is coming up and I told her she'll get her fill soon enough.. This soup filled the bill and used up the last of my roasted chicken. The boys were less than thrilled with soup for dinner, so I mollified them with grilled cheese sandwiches. Sadly there is no picture since it was all gobbled up.

I like it when I can get more than one meal out of a bird.

No comments: