Thursday, August 02, 2007

Post Harry Potter Letdown

This week has been a bit of a blur, hence artist of the week on Tuesday instead of Wednesday. I realized afterwards it was indeed Tuesday and not Wednesday, it just felt like Wednesday.

I finished reading Deathly Hallows in the wee hours, 3:00 am to be exact, of the morning on Tuesday. I started Monday morning and kept dipping into it throughout the day. Once the little ones were tucked in I dove into the book. I just could not put it down until I finished the whole dang thing.

It was a great read and I found myself rereading the end bits of the previous book, Half-Blood Prince, and the ending chapters of Deathly Hallows Tuesday night.

Wednesday I spent drifting along, at loss what to read. I had been immersed in the world of Harry Potter for the past two weeks. Two weeks ago I had been seized by the idea of rereading the entire series. My plan was to reread up to the Goblet of Fire, see the movie Order of the Phoenix, then reread Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince. Then I would cap it all off with Deathly Hallows.

The timing of the movie is important to me, because I can not truly enjoy a movie if I have just read the book it is based on, the omissions and inconsistencies are too glaring. But if it has been a few years, the details are blurred and I can sit back and relax. For whatever reason rereading a book afterwards is not a problem. I have seen the movie and it can stand on its own.

So that is what I have been doing. This has worked out well in our household, because it gave Jake first crack at the book without my breathing down his neck to finish. His only challenge was to not talk about any aspect of the book. He is old enough now that he was just able to pull it off. It took him until Saturday night, very late Saturday night, to finish the book. I was just nearing the end of Half-Blood Prince and I was ready to read Monday morning.

Larry too has been doing a little rereading, just not on the same scale as me. He just opted for the Half-Blood Prince. It has taken him a little longer than me to reread it, what with having to go to work and all. He’ll be starting Deathly Hallows either tonight or tomorrow. I really enjoyed reading side by side with him. Meryl was very kind and lent me her copy H-BP and made it all possible.

Now I have to find something else to read. I have been tackling Beowulf this summer, but I also want something a bit lighter.

No comments: