Thursday, February 10, 2011

Walkable


Canal walk
Originally uploaded by
Yesterday I drove into Richmond just to take pictures. It was a bright, but cold day. Perfect for what I wanted to do.

It is really no big deal to drive into the city and I can usually find parking not too far from where I want to be. I might have to walk a block or two, but I don't mind the exercise. I have found Richmond to be fascinating little city to view on foot.

My main interest was to photograph two spots in area called Shockoe Slip. It's the older part of downtown with cobblestone streets that run along the mighty James River. While cutting across from one street to another I ended up down on the canal walk.

From this point of the canal system you can ride a boat and get a narration on the canal's history. I haven't done it yet, but I hear it's a worthwhile experience. I have, however, walked most of the 1 1/4 mile length of the Canal Walk. It is not the most exciting of adventures, but you get to see some little pockets of Richmond you would miss not on foot. Plus there are plaques all along the walkway about the history of the canal and Richmond. One thing I learned was around the 1860s Richmond was largest flour milling center in he United States.

I can't wait to go back down once the weather is just a bit more inviting.

No comments: