First we selected a relatively level spot in our woods, marked out an 8’ x 12’ area, raked it and some spread gravel. We got the gravel at Lowes and brought it home in our van and this is what we learned:
Then we dragged out the bits and pieces for the wood floor from under the house. Except for a small amount of powdery white mold on the plywood, it was all in good shape. I wiped down the plywood with straight vinegar and propped the boards up to dry and hopefully get a little sunlight.
Our van can carry 23 bags of gravel.
However, 23 bags of gravel really affect the handling of the van. It has a tendency to fishtail with such a heavy load and the van rides about 4 inches lower than normal.
With 17 bags of gravel the handling problems disappear and the van is only 3 inches lower than normal.
Our Lowes may be open until 8:00pm on Sunday, but the garden center is locked up by 7:30 pm, fortunately we already had our forty bags that had Larry purchased(this we found out after we had built the platform and I decided we needed more gravel).
I laid out the lumber for the frame and marked the boards where Larry would nail in the joists. It was hard work laced with (unwanted) advice from one child. Rebecca (!) was surprisingly helpful. On her own she decided her job was to quietly hand Larry a nail whenever he was done hammering. We were able to finish putting together the frames (you build it in two sections and then hammer it together at the site) before we called it quits. Jake and Nate then helped me carry the frames to their final destination.
This is what we have accomplished so far.
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar.
I’ll be futzing around with it this week to get it all level and attach the floor panels.