Sunday, January 11, 2009

El Laberinto del Fauno

My local library system is outstanding. The local branch has a good selection of books and movies and is part of a huge network scattered throughout the county. There is a very good online catalog that enables me to find books and movies and then reserve them at my local branch. Inter-library loan within the system is not a dirty word and I freely use it that service.

The best part is that all movies are free and you get a seven day loan. After which it is a dollar a day.

A few weeks ago I was checking out the selection of movies and I decided (for whatever reason) Hellboy. This movie led me to another movie by the director Guillermo del Toro, Pan's Labyrinth. It looked interesting so I made a mental note to check it out.

Last Monday I returned a bunch of books, got a few new ones and decided to give Pan's Labyrinth a shot. The box got shuffled around the living room for most of the week. I kept meaning to watch it, but I was too busy. I finally made time on Friday and sat done to see it before the kids got home.

The movie is gorgeous.

It is a true fairytale, with love, brutality, monsters and a bittersweet end. I was crying as the film drew to a close. I told Larry and Meryl that it was a very good movie and watched it all over again Saturday night with Larry. It was still good and we were both deeply moved. I can't tell you any more without spoiling it. It is best not to read anything about it, but to go in cold. Pan's Labyrinth is not a kids movie and I highly recommend it to all my adult friends.

No comments: