Monday, September 24, 2012

Police K9 Bite Demo

Saturday my club participated in a combination "AKC Responsible Dog Ownership Day" and "Meet the Breeds." This meant I spent a good four hours manning a table that had a wealth of information about dachshunds with Dell in my lap. John did not get to come along because, honestly, he's a total butthead around strange dogs.

In addition to dachshunds there were Bouvier des Flanders, Afghans, American Staffordshire Terriers (love those blocky heads, very loving and smart dogs), Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers (the living decoy, they lure the ducks to shore with their playful antics-seriously), and Havana Silk Dogs(a new one to me, very cute). A couple of vet clinics were there including a microchip clinic. Dell got to go through the agility course and was amply rewarded with cheese and hot dogs making this the best day ever in his mind. To me however, the best part was the Hanover Sheriffs K-9 unit demonstration. The dog had laser like focus and you could see it was having a great time. The bite work looks very scary and lord knows the dog could inflict serious damage, but the training was done such the bite work was just a huge game of tug-o-war for the dog.

Here is a video I took of the demo. It's not the best quality, I was testing out my cell phone, and the dog was so darkly colored it disappears into the background, but you get an idea of what was happening.

No comments: