Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Baking With Julia- Best-Ever Brownies

Hooray! I'm actually baking/posting on the official day!

Sort of, kind of. The picture will have to wait until tomorrow because I can't take a decent picture of a brownie indoors when it's dark out.

But! We have brownies! And that is always a good thing.

As always this is being done under the auspices of Baking with Julia via Tuesdays with Dorie and the host this time around is A Beautiful Mess.

These are very good brownies, nice and gooey with a fudge like texture, just what I like in a brownie. But best-ever, I don't know. They are wee a bit fussier to make than my regular brownies that have garnered me a first place ribbon at the county fair. A recipe,  mind you, I got off of the Baker's chocolate box. I'm not sure if I'll make these again, I'll have to see what my in house panel of judges thinks about them.

Oh and I almost forgot to add, I extended the baking time a good 10 minutes. I use an eight inch brownie pan vs the nine inch called for in the recipe, which gives me thicker brownies that need a bit more time to cook.
brownies by Teckelcar
brownies, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.

And here is the promised picture. The brownies along the edge of the pan were a bit more cake like, but move a bit more to the center and it's fudgey goodness.

Nobody has remarked about the brownies being any different, apart from one snarky boy who hasn't had one, but was reading whilst I type (heathen). I thing they are a touch saltier than the norm, but quite good. I'll stick with my tried and true, however it is nice to try alternatives.

5 comments:

Have Apron....Will Bake said...

I used an 8 inch pan as well. And even with extra baking time I still found them goeey. But some time in the fridge helped that. Not best ever in my opinion, but good to try new recipes as it helps me to figure out what I like and don't like.

Sweet and That's it said...

I agree, I found them a bit too salty (but my friends didn't). I also extended the baking time by 20 minutes as I don't like gooey brownies.
They were good, but won't probably bake them again.

Cathleen | My Culinary Mission said...

I personally would not award a first place ribbon on these. I have another recipe I prefer. Congrats on your ribbon win!! They look good. :)

Margaret said...

Salty! Hhmm!! I guess I will have to make more to find out!!

These became my go-to at first bite.

Cher Rockwell said...

I bet the blue ribbon brownies were yum :-)