Thursday, February 08, 2007

Thursday Three: Food, Glorious Food

Once again Terry is serving up a buffet of food based questions.
HUNGRY!?

Well, if you’re not, then you will be soon, as we cook up a sizzling plate of Axis of Weevil Thursday Three, the Internets’ Most Delicious Junk Food! For those unfamiliar with our menu, we ladle up a steaming portion of three questions, delicately breaded and heated to 94 degrees Fahrenheit under a lamp, and then ask only that you reward us with answers to those questions!

This week’s helping of gastronomic guesstimation will have to do with, of all things, food. Answer the following questions by either leaving your tip in the comments section below or a link to your very own establishment.

You might be asking yourself, “Hmm, it seems as though we recently did a food-related set of questions.” Well, obviously that’s just the hunger talking, and you can’t be expected to be entirely lucid on an empty stomach. So just forget about what you think you remember.

NOW THEN, on with the specially prepared gourmet selection of questions!

1) Of your local hamburger joints, which is your favorite and why? And by “local,” we mean REALLY local--no national chains! Only your local mom-and-pop establishments or regional chains, please.

2) What is the most adventurous meal you’ve ever personally prepared?

3) What dish did your Mom used to fix that you steadfastly refused to eat?

Now then, put your napkin in your lap and dig in!

Mmm, food. I’ll tuck into my chicken pot pie and give this a whirl.

1) This will be a multi part answer, because I have lived in numerous locals and each area has its own best burger joint.

Growing up in Connecticut we would go to a little roadside place that was only open in the summer. Seating was outside under battered metal umbrellas and the food was served on old circular tin trays that advertised Coke (or was it Pepsi, I don’t remember). I always had birch beer with my burger.

Up in Vermont we found The White Cottage, another great roadside burger joint. It is a bit far afield, but it is worth the occasional trip.

Then I moved out and lived in New Haven for a few years. There I learned to love Louis’ Lunch, the home of the original hamburger. It is a stripped down little joint that closes down every August for spoon inventory(no really). The cheese on the burgers is cheese whiz, the burger is served on toasted bread and you can’t get ketchup. A bit different and it is an interesting slice of Americana.

Then I moved to Madison Wisconsin, home of Dotty Dumpling’s Dowry. Great burgers and, as opposed to Louis’, they will serve it up any way you want. I liked the original location more, but the new digs still serves up a fine burger.

Right now I really don’t have a favorite burger joint. There is an excellent place up around Richmond, Carytown Burger and Fries, but it is a bit of a haul and usually crowded. Another good place is the Star-Lite located in the Fan up in Richmond. Great burgers, fabulous onion rings. Meryl and I have gone there a few times and I have always been pleased with whatever I’ve gotten.

2) I always feel like meal time is an adventure around here. I guess my most adventuresome meal I’ve ever made was the second time I made curry. It was when I was in England and I made it for a few fellow students. It was a big hit and I was very pleased since one of my guests was from India (she was a last minute addition to the guest list). Then there was my brother’s wedding cake. It involved three different kitchens and a whole lot of obsessive planning.

3) To this day I still refuse to eat baked beans. My mom is an excellent cook, but I can’t stand baked beans. Oh and mushrooms, I don’t eat those either.

That’s it for me, I’m still feeling a bit peckish. I think I’ll go check out the fridge for a little something to nosh on.

No comments: