Friday, November 05, 2010

Oatmeal Chocolaty Goodness


Oatmeal chocolate chip
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar
Earlier this week I made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for a friend. He had helped me out in selecting an appropriate Apple (I'm a PC kinda a gal and I haven't a clue when it comes to Macs) computer for my mom and I wanted to thank him for all his time an effort. I asked him what kind of cookie did he want and he wrote back oatmeal with chocolate chips, no raisins.

Alright then. I've never made oatmeal cookies before, but I'm willing to give it a go. I've never been a big fan of oatmeal cookies and for that I blame the ubiquitous raisin. Since I was making them and my friend had requested no raisins I had a good feeling about the cookies.

I selected the The Best Cookie of 1900-1910 Oatmeal Drop Cookies from my Betty Crocker Cookie Book with of course various modifications by me.

1/2 cup shortening
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup molasses
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups rolled oats
1 1/4 cup chocolate chips*

(*original recipe called for 1/2 cup chopped nuts and 1 cup raisins instead of the chocolate chips. I dislike both and my friend requested oatmeal chocolate chip)

Heat oven to 400 F
Mix shortening, sugar, eggs, and molasses thoroughly. Measure flour by dipping method or by sifting. Stir dry ingredients together; blend in. Stir in oats and chocolate chips (or raisins and nuts if you go that way). Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2" apart on a lightly greased baking sheet (oops I forgot to do that and it really wasn't a problem). Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack and then enjoy!
The cookies were scrumptious. Moist and chewy with a wonderful depth of flavor from the molasses and the chocolate. They were a big hit with the family and they are almost gone. I think the only reason any are left is that I made brownies a few days earlier. Oh and all the candy from Halloween too. I will definitely be making these again.

2 comments:

Janis Gore said...

Mmmm.

Lyman has a good recipe that he picked up from a doctor in England for oatmeal-peanut butter-chocolate chip cookies.

I'll e-mail it if you'd like.

Sarah said...

Sounds lovely, we have a peanut thing in the family, but I'm always up for new recipes.