Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Artist of the Week: Frieze


Max in motion
Originally uploaded by Teck
Max is this week's artist.

Last weekend Max had not one, but two soccer games. One of them was a rescheduling of an earlier game that was cancelled. If I remember correctly the opposing coach wasn't going to have enough players to field a complete team, never mind having no subs. The first game was at 9 am and the second at 11:30am.

Since I was going to be watching a lot of soccer I dragged my camera along. I figured that with 2+ hours of soccer I should be able to get a few decent shots of Max in action.

And so I did.

This one is a bit out of focus (except for his right cleat), but I think that just emphasizes the motion in the shot. Max is on a mission and nothing is going to slow him down. And the best part of the day was that Max's team was able to win both games. Not too shabby considering how closely matched the teams were.


Frieze
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar
As for Max's art, there is a tad less motion. In fact, it's a frieze. He has the whole family pictured, including the dogs tucked into the corners (one of the times that it really pays off to have dachshunds).

The building and frieze were outlined lightly in pencil and then drawn over with crayon. The background is a light wash of watercolor. I love the colors he used and the light touch. I think Max did a splendid job on his artwork.

No comments: