Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Artist of the Week

I’m starting a new thing today called Artist of the Week. It will be mostly stuff done by the kids, but I am not limiting myself to only art produced by them.

This week’s AOTW is Jake. Here he is holding his art:

Jake+art
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar.

I found this artwork stuffed in his backpack at the end of the school year. It was jammed in there with crayons, markers, pens, pencils, an assortment of written work and other art projects. I’m glad it survived the journey home. Here is a shot of the piece itself:


jakeart
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar.

Apparently at school they had a unit in art class about Ancient China and they students were taught how to make a brush and ink picture of bamboo. Brush and ink is essentially a form of watercolor. I find watercolor to be the most challenging art form. You need to have a clear idea of what you want while being flexible with what happens.

I like the piece a great deal and it is currently on exhibit at The Refrigerator Museum of Art. Even Aunt Meryl was impressed when she stopped by last Saturday and took a self guided tour.

When Jake was asked for his thoughts about his art he said “I think it is a nice representative of life.”

No comments: