Friday, July 15, 2005

Summer Bounty

This is most of the tomatoes that we got in this weeks garden share.


summerbounty
Originally uploaded by Teckelcar.

One big one did not last for the picture; instead we had it for dinner last night.

When we picked our veggies yesterday I was asked what extras would I like? Peppers, tomatoes and squash were offered. I replied tomatoes; all I want is extra tomatoes. Frankly I’ve gotten sick of the over abundance of squash (Larry does not care for squash) and peppers are not my favorite.

I love the different varieties we get. In the big bowl you can see that we got some traditional red varieties, a pretty yellow one, and one green tomato peeking out from the bottom. There is one bizarre looking purple one that you can’t see. When Rebecca first caught sight of it she did a bit of a double take.

The cherry tomatoes in the smaller bowl are called Sun Gold and are super sweet. If I let her, Rebecca would polish off the whole lot in a day and a half. The rest of the kids like them too, but she is a big fan of tomatoes.

Last night I made a light sauce to go with some cheese tortellini we had in the freezer. First I heated up 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a small sauce pan. Then I added 2 cloves of crushed garlic. As the garlic browned I chopped up the tomato and a handful of fresh basil leaves. I mounded them together and splashed a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar on it and sprinkled a dash of salt and fresh ground black pepper on top. Once the garlic was nicely browned I added 2 tablespoons of butter to the pan and more olive oil. When the buttered was all melted I added the tomato and basil mixture and tuned down the heat.

It was lovely on the pasta and very tasty on the fresh baguette I had picked up at the farmers market.

No comments: